During the hottest months of the year, No More Deaths’s Desert Aid project conducts a summer volunteer program to bring in additional volunteers to cover a lot of ground. The minimum stay is one week.
|Time of year||June & July 2020|
|Length of stay||1-2 weeks-long sessions|
|Cost||At this time we’re able to offer the program free of cost; we will ask for a $50 refundable deposit.
|Group size||We can accommodate groups of two to four people.|
We encourage volunteers with the ability to stay a month or longer to consider the month-long volunteer program instead.
COVID-19 UPDATE: There is a lot of uncertainty regarding the Corona Virus/ COVID-19 health emergency. We are diligently working to adapt to these changing times and center those most vulnerable to this health crisis. We have decided to cancel our Summer Desert Aide Program.
The MINIMUM amount of time we require folks to volunteer for is ONE WEEK. If you plan to come for only ONE week, you must sign up for an “A Session”. If you only sign up for a “B session”, your application will not be considered.
|MONTH||Session DURATION (sat – fri)||Application deadline|
Priority Deadline: Friday, April 3rd, 2020**
Priority Deadline: Friday, May 1st, 2020**
A sample weekly schedule is available.
- All groups of two or more people must establish a group contact person.
- Each group member must submit their own application before the deadline.
- Any program participant may contact the volunteer coordinator with questions or concerns, but the group contact person will be the main person in communication with the volunteer coordinator about major group logistics.
- Training begins at 9 a.m. All participants must be present for the start of training and attend all of the training. Please plan your travel accordingly!
- While No More Deaths provides the meals during training and in the field, volunteers are responsible for buying and preparing their own food during rest days in Tucson.
- All volunteers will be camping and are expected to bring their own tents, sleeping bags and sleeping pads if possible, we also have the Gila Gear Lending Library if you don’t own something! A more detailed packing list will be provided upon acceptance to the program.
- As stated in the FAQ, groups of five or more are asked to provide (rent, borrow, etc.) their own vehicle for transportation to and from the airport as well as to and from our volunteer sites throughout the week. We will provide transportation for groups of four and fewer.
- There are no volunteer fees, however once accepted, we will ask for a refundable $50 deposit. In the past we have had a high number of last minute cancellations that have hindered our ability to do humanitarian aid during March, this deposit will be refunded when you arrive.
- For important further details and requirements, see the FAQ that applies to all the volunteer programs, including the spring program.
Steps for applying
- Please read all the information above. Review the FAQ and the sample weekly schedule.
- Find someone from a grassroots organization you have worked with or been involved with (activist collective, nonprofit, advocacy group, volunteer/community-service organization, etc.) to write you a letter of reference. Ask them to fill out a reference form for you before the application deadline. Recommendation forms for Summer programming can be found here.
- Fill out and submit your application by designated deadline (JUNE 2020 PRIORITY DEADLINE: Friday, April 3rd, 2020** | JULY 2020 PRIORITY DEADLINE: Friday, May 1st, 2020** | **Accepting applications on a rolling basis)
You will get a response to your application within a week and a half of the application’s deadline. Thank you for your interest and your support in our work!